February 6, 2012

I dare you not to smile...at my Monster Pillow!

Can you do it?  Can you even look at this without smiling??


Oh my gosh, seriously.


It's not very often I smile my way through a project, but this one was just too great.  I saw this project not too long ago on Make It and Love It.  I think any little guy or gal would get a kick out of this Monster Pillow.  This Monster is going to a little guy we're catching up with next week, and I am honestly a little sad to let my Monster go!

I used different colors for the front and back, 'cuz it's fun!


Don't you hate it when you read craft blogs and the author does a 'review' of a pattern but all you ever hear is how great that pattern is?  Or if it wasn't great, the author says that she (or he) did something wrong, and if "I'd only followed the pattern".....that drives me bananas.  Most patterns have a sticking point or two.  It would be nice if people just laid it out there, so you knew what to watch out for when putting something together.

That in mind, there are a couple of things I'd like to say about this project. 
(1) The author tells you to use fusible webbing.  Since I know that fleece stretches badly and can be difficult to applique neatly, I liked that idea.  What worried me was that I know you don't want to (if you can get away with it) iron fleece.  It was really hard to iron the webbing enough to get it to stick without scorching the fleece.
(2) Wouldn't it be great if the monster's mouth was a pocket?  Just sayin'.
(3) Sewing through all those layers of the hair was a beast.  And I was using my walking foot.  I went back and forth over each strand of hair to make sure it was secure, and it's certainly not the prettiest stitching I've ever done.

This is the first time I've really tried to finish a project using an 'invisible stitch'.  Not a shabby job, if I do say so myself!

I LOVE this project.  No doubt it won't be my only Monster Pillow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment