September 8, 2011

Crayon Rolls

This one's for you, Danielle!

A few days ago I whipped up a few (more) crayon rolls.  I have probably made 15 of these babies by now.  I think they make a fantastic gift - what kid doesn't like crayons?  My kids love the crayon rolls for travel and they're a great way to use up some fabric scraps.

I use this tutorial from Skip to my Lou for the basics.  I really don't like tying it with a ribbon, though - I mean, what two year old (or three or four year old, for that matter) can tie a bow with a ribbon?  I prefer to sew a child's hairband into the side seam and sew on a large button for the closure.  If you want to make one with a button/elastic closure, the button needs to be sewn onto the outside of the crayon roll between 4 and 6 inches from the elastic (depending on how stretchy your elastic hairband is).

I'm also partial to a little 'personalization'.  What kid doesn't like seeing their name or initial on their toy?  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment