April 6, 2011

Sweet Treat

Living in Houston for the past few years, I've tried to make it to the Quilt Festival whenever possible.  I did miss it one year, since Miss A was only a few days old....which I think is a completely valid excuse.  We moved this year but I was able to travel back for a few days (girls' weekend - woohoo!).  One of my very favorite booths for the past several years has been the Pincushion Boutique.  They sell these fabulous fat quarter packs along with a minkee backing called a Sweet Treat.  If you are a quilter and want to put together something super cute and fast, this is it! 

I just finished the latest Sweet Treat - a Cat in the Hat version.  Mr N's room is being decorated in blues and reds and I simply couldn't resist!

My free motion quilting needs a bit of practice.  Sewing toys and clothes and curtains over the past two years hasn't done anything for my steady stippling hand.  Must practice more quilts!

I cheated a bit with the binding.  Basically, I 'hemmed' the backing all the way around the quilt.  I trimmed everything except 2" of the minkee backing around all edges of the quilt and then folded it 1" (to meet the edge of the quilt), and then another 1" over the top of the quilt.  I sewed it down (with the sewing machine, people, please.  By hand?  Not if I can help it...) and I have to say it turned out pretty darned cute!  I'll get pictures of the process next time.

I hope the little guy likes it as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment