May 19, 2011

Canning

I am SO excited that canning season is once again upon us!  Last year I collected an assortment of jars (and knowledge) from my mother, who has been canning since....well, forever.  I remember how hot the house used to get - why was it she only canned on the hottest days?

Last summer I tried my hand at canning a round of tomatoes...


And made up a batch of peach preserves, and a rediculously delicious plum compote.


I couldn't figure out how to get the peach preserves put in the jars without bubbles...maybe I'll figure that out this year.  And as far as the plum compote goes...I only got a taste of that.  My husband went to town on it with a spoon.  Yep, it was THAT good.

Thank you Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving!  This book also had a great recipe for pesto and info on freezing the pesto - which was great because I end up with a TON of basil most years.

I cannot wait to get started this year!  Anybody have a good canning recipe to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment