May 30, 2011

Kids Lanyard Tutorial


There are about a billion different ways to sew up a lanyard.  Here's how I did it....


1.     Cut one rectangle of fabric:  3 inches wide by 35 inches long

 (adjust length as needed – my 35 inch length worked well for a preschooler)

2.     Iron a crease down the middle of the fabric, lengthwise.  Open the fabric.

3.     Fold each edge of the fabric into the center crease and iron.


4.     Fold at the center crease and iron.


5.     Topstitch 1/8” from each long edge.

6.     Zigzag stitch the short ends to keep them from fraying.  You can get fancier if you’d like, but really – it’s for kids.  They won’t care.
7.     Sew a small piece of Velcro to one end (my piece was about ¾” long).
8.     Sew the other piece of Velcro to the other end.  Make sure you sew this piece on the opposite side so that the lanyard lays well when worn.  If you get confused – pretend you’re wearing the lanyard to figure out where to place this piece of Velcro.
9.     Sew a ring to the center of the lanyard.
10.     Attach swag!

I made a set of these for my daughter’s preschool class using some fun toy carabineers and spring loaded clips I got from JoAnn Fabrics.  I attached a lip gloss and silly bands to each.  The lip gloss idea came from blogland and I wish I could remember where I saw it!  If someone knows, please email me!
If you would like an easily printable version of this tutorial, you can find one at:

1 comment: